This is How Alyson Hannigan Stays So Positive

July 09, 2020

This is How Alyson Hannigan Stays So Positive

With all that’s going on in the world recently, I’m doing better more than I am not. There are days where I think, “This is so overwhelming.” It’s a roller coaster of emotions. But my sister-in-law is a nurse. So every time I want to whine about something, I think about her and all the people like her around the world who are doing things I cannot even fathom. I try to honor all of the different emotions going on within myself and my family, but then also keep in mind that I absolutely can’t complain.
Allyson-Hannigan-health-mag-july-aug-2020
KIM MYERS ROBERTSON/TRUNK ARCHIVE
I was in a real negative headspace for a long time. I remember the moment I became an optimist. I was walking across my college campus, and somebody passed by me. In my head, I insulted that person. I stopped myself and thought, “Why would I think something negative about a person I don’t even know?” So, immediately, I made myself think three nice things about them. From then on, anytime I thought something negative, I’d make myself think three positive things. After a while, it became second nature.
If I’m in a funk, I try not to give in to it. I’ll set a clock and allow myself to be grumpy for an hour— and then I go do something to get myself out of it. Looking around at my surroundings and finding the things I am grateful for helps.
This article originally appeared in the July/August 2020 issue of Health Magazine. Click here to subscribe today!
To get our top stories delivered to your inbox, sign up for the Healthy Living newsletter

You Might Also Like

0 comments